Aphids - how to get rid of the little pests

10:34



As quickly as spring has sprung so have the aphids. These tiny nutrient-sucking bugs cluster together and feed off a plant's new growth.

Last year my climbing rose, although attacked by aphids, bloomed all summer with multiple flowers. Again this year I have noticed some tiny buds forming along with small clusters of these annoying pests. 

I am determined not to let them destroy my rose and today I spent a good hour removing what I could see of them from the plant.

If allowed to infest the plant they can cause some serious damage such as curled leaves, stunted shoots, yellowing, and other forms of distortion. 

I had seen a few ladybugs around the garden and so I was hoping this year the plant wouldn't become infested. However it appears as though the ladybugs are not doing their job and eating enough.

So along with checking the rose each day and removing what I can I am going to try a friendly soap spray which will hopefully keep them away. Its very basic, 

2-4 drops of liquid detergent
2 litres of water

I will spray the plant weekly and see if this is enough to keep on top of the aphids.


Another option is ginger spray - it will not kill the aphids on the plant but will repel them.

1/2 cup finely chopped ginger
2 cups of warm water


If you know any better ways please let me know, I am happy to try anything to keep them from eating my lovely roses.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi Kassie, I enjoyed reading your comments on my blog, thank you! I see we have a few passions in common - good food, gardening, cats. It will be fun to watch your city garden grow. My one bit of advice regarding aphids is to grow some flowers that will attract beneficial insects. One of my favorites is sweet alyssum, it's great for small gardens. I also let coriander bloom and allow chamomile to volunteer around my garden. After that it's a matter of patience while the good bug population gets established in your garden.

    ReplyDelete