Spring has sprung.

05:58

Over the past 3 weeks I have started to think about this years gardening plans. All of my plants are finally with us here in London. There was no room at the time of moving to bring them all, so my in-laws have been making small trips with them.

I have a small cluster of potted plants, which include a rather large climbing rose, a salix tree, olive tree and a bay tree. There is a number of smaller pots which currently contain daffodils and tulips also.
I spent the best part of sunday re-arranging these plants into their final places in our tiny narrow garden, I also needed to repot a few tulips in the process as they looked in fairly poor conditions (grown from last years bulbs in little soil).

This year is going to be the first year however that I intend to grow some basic fruit and vegetables. As I have little space I have started with a selection which are meant to be good for beginners. I have two wooden troughs, one containing carrots, and the other containing peppers. I also have mixed salad leaves, chilli plants, runner bean plants, tomato plants and a small selection of herbs.

It has only been a week since I planted the seeds, and already I have lots of seedlings! Much faster than I anticipated. The Chilli seeds will be out of the propagator in a few days and will need to be thinned out to grow on stronger, along with the tomato seedlings. I started them off in the Jiffy propagator which comes with expandable coir disks and have been happy with the results.

The pepper seeds are the only vegetable which has taken a while to germinate. Today I spotted the tiniest seedling, which i expect will be fully upright within the next 2 days. These were planted at the same time as the carrot seeds almost 3 weeks ago.

I am intending on growing most of these fruit and vegetables in grow bags similar to these two here.
Although I may get some plastic pots for the chilli plant, I still have a few weeks to decide.



















You Might Also Like

0 comments